Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Hospitality or Entertaining?

I have been having people over for a meal every now and again.
And I thought: Why do I sometimes think --- Ah....what a hassle! All the cooking and cleaning that comes with the company.

Sometimes, I feel obliged to invite folks over because they had invited me the last time!

However, in my saintly moments, I think ---- Oh, why should I bother what people say about my food, my house, my mess, my unmatching plates and cutlery? I invited them because I wanted to get to know them better..... I just wanted to give this busy mum a break from cooking......I simply thought this foreigner would love to have a 'family meal' away from home!

Anyway, I realise too, that people don't care what design is on my crockery, that my carpet is stained, my dining chair is wobbly and my food lacks salt.
BUT they often remember the conversation, the care, the counsel, the hospitality shown.

So....what's the difference between hospitality and entertaining?

Simply put: HOSPITALITY is people-centered;
ENTERTAINING is impression-centered.

The maxim that has helped me thus far is:

Treat friends as family; treat family as friends !







link | posted by magnificentmom at 1:13 AM |


3 Comments:

Blogger walkenochwalk commented at 7:00 AM~  

Dear Aunty,

I am a friend of your daughter, Eunice and a fan of your blog!

Reading your blog is more than just a delightful activity to me. Your blog never fails to educate and feed my soul to know virtues of kindness....Thanks for blogging! You have taught my heart to be a heart of flesh.

I have been so blessed by your sharings!

Joey

Blogger magnificentmom commented at 4:47 AM~  

Thanks Joey for taking the time to write me your comments. I'm blessed to know i'm educating you!!! Trust you are on the road to think, act and be different, too.

Blogger Z commented at 8:20 AM~  

this post is very very very enlightening and very very very needed for us who are in the 'impressionist' era... =P

Want to Post a Comment?