Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Why Work?

I'm possessed by the thought that so many people look forward to retirement.....plan for their annual leave .....live for the weekend ( Hey....do you ever ask : What did you do on your Tuesday??? ---- but I'm sure you often ask : What did you do over the weekend? !)

I've also seen cases when people have been told their life will be shortened by a terminal illness. What's their first reaction? Quit their job!

And of course, it has often been said that on the lips of dying men and women, their one regret in life is that they had spent so much of their lives at work when they should have spent more time with their families or friends.

So what does all this say about the importance of WORK?

Work supposedly gives us worth, power (spending power???), purpose and satisfaction in life.

I haven't worked in the 'outside world' for 24 years.
Do I miss it? No way!
I love the freedom of time, the discipline of managing an unscheduled day, the availability to meet others' needs, the joy of boosting my husband's ego as a provider of all my needs!

Perhaps I've done a "disservice" to my kids because I have so glorified my position as a happy homemaker that they want to be a housewife or househusband, too....eventually!

But meantime, while they are in the workforce, I hope to see them balance their work life and their out-of-work life.

While work keeps them from being a bum, their busyness at work should not keep them from developing other interests, activities and friendships.
While work pays them what's due to them, they must not pay with their life as an exchange for it.
While work is important (der!), it is part of life ---- not the-all, be-all, end-all.
















link | posted by magnificentmom at 11:31 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?