Friday, December 14, 2007

Tower of Babel

Qatar is such a wonderful place to meet foreigners!

With a population of about 900 000, only one quarter of it are Qataris. In short, i have made friends with more of the people from the East (like the Philippines, China, India ) and the other Arab countries (like Syria, Bahrain, Egypt ) than the locals here.

The good news is ---- most people speak English, although with varying accents.
However, in recent weeks, I've bumped into more Arab-speaking only women!

Now I understand what it was like when the folks at the Tower of Babel spoke different languages and could not understand each other sufficiently to carry out a project. It must have been frustrating. But in my case, it's hilarious!

Project in mind: Haircut at Beauty saloon

After almost 16 weeks here, i thought it's time to look for a hairdresser and enjoy the luxury of a haircut (in Singapore, I usually get to the salon every 6 weeks!). My tai-tai friends here pay about S$300/- for just a cut. I don't feel I'm in the same league. So when i befriended this Arab speaking lady, Aida, I ventured to get my goal accomplished before christmas through her contact. ("Wasta" or connection is very important here!)

We have been laughing our way through our chicken-and-duck friendship.
We make gestures with our hands, act out our explanations, show pictures, use the very limited edition of my English-Arabic booklet.........hug each other, give each other the Arabic kiss (you know ---- hug left, hug right and make the kissing sound in the air!!!) and we have found a friendship that goes beyond the boundaries of language, culture and religion.

All good .......even though I thought she had young kids when she talked about her "babies". In fact, they're in their teens!
I thought the elderly man in her apartment was her "dad", and discovered he's just a friend.
And i thought she was taking me to the hairdresser yesterday at 5 pm.....or today at 4 pm.......But it seems it's going to be tomorrow!!!

Ah so........"Inshallah"......God willing!


link | posted by magnificentmom at 6:14 AM |


1 Comments:

Blogger pascoaman commented at 5:13 AM~  

How was your holiday Doreen?
Keep on writing!

Want to Post a Comment?