Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Examining Exams!

Ah....PSLE is over! What a relief to many parents ---- mostly mums, of course, who have taken leave during the exam.

I have never really understood why?!

I mean, is it so they can boil health ( or "help to get high marks") soup for the kid?
Or is it to make sure he gets to school on time --- at least during the exam week?
Or is it out of guilt that they have not spent much time with the kid during the earlier part of the year --- except for nagging him to study --- and this is their last-minute attempt to show care and concern?

We often question the kid's attitude towards exam (care-less, irresponsible, unmotivated, etc).
But what is the parent's attitude towards exam?

My son used to say on the first day of exam ( be it PSLE, O-Level, A-Level,) :
"Hey! I have been waiting for this moment, man! The teachers have been talking about this exam all year. Finally, it is here."

I used to say to my kids:
" I hope you will have enough success in school so you will be confident and challenged to study with a sense of self -motivation and responsibility.
And I hope you will have enough failures to keep you humble and yet going always for the gold ahead. The best is yet to be!"


link | posted by Coach Jonathan Wong at 8:50 PM |


2 Comments:

Blogger SophT commented at 6:12 AM~  

PSLE means Primary School Leaving Examinations...

Blogger Coach Jonathan Wong commented at 9:33 AM~  

What is doing well in exams?
I guess it is hard to measure "effort" because all our kids will say they have done their best (even when we don't see it)!!!

As a parent, I assess each of my kids' potential. If I know he is capable of better grades, but for whatever reason he does not live up to it, eg. because he made careless mistakes, misread questions during the exam,or he has not understood the concepts, then I work out with him ways to improve in his next exam. For instance, read the question twice over before rushing to answer it.
I remind him it's not the end of the world ---- it is a teachable moment and let's make the best of it to learn something from it and not destroy the child's spirit.

I have never rewarded my kids for good results and I never dangle a carrot before the exam. I merely tell them it's their responsibility as a student to study and appreciate the importance of education ---- something no one can steal from them!
However, we do celebrate (with a special meal usually)as a family after the exam. and after the results come out.This makes for a memorable moment --- not because of 'A's obtained but because we are A supportive family, no matter what!

Want to Post a Comment?